Smisby Church is dedicated to St. James. It is a small building comprising nave, chancel, south aisle porch and a western tower containing two 17th century bells. It was originally a chapel of St. Wystan of Repton and is mentioned in a charter in 1271. The aisle is separated from the nave by three low pointed arches. The chancel is panelled with oak in linenfold pattern that was formerly in Ashby Castle. An alabaster slab in the west wall bears the figure of a lady: her hands are clasped on her breast and her feet rest on two small dogs The inscription is in Norman-French, a portion of the date and a few words are wholly illegible. On the north wall of the chancel is the monument of Henry Kendall and his wife, dated 1627.
There is much more about the Church in the St James' Church Pages